Using direct messages and private discussions limits your audience to only the people you want. Direct messages and private discussions show up in the Communications streams of only the people you send them to.
*** Please note that Direct Messages show up in the "Recent Content" stream - so please use Private if you want it to be completely private.
Note: While direct messages and private discussions are useful features, nearly all topics in your community can be useful to others, so keep things public whenever possible.
To send a direct message:
- Click the Send Direct Message button on the Communications or Actions page. Or, you can hover over someone's name in your Activity stream and click Direct Message on their pop-up profile box. The Send Message pop-up box opens.
- You can add additional people to your direct message by clicking on the Select People link and clicking check boxes next to the names for the people you'd like to add.
- Type your message in the Message field. You can upload a photo or @mention people in your community.
- Click Send. Your message will appear in the Communications stream of the person or people you selected.
To start a private discussion:
- Click Create > Discussion, then click the Private Discussion link.
- Add participants to your discussion by clicking Select People and choosing people you'd like to include.
- Enter a title for your discussion in the field at the top.
- Your discussion can be marked as a question to encourage people to answer for points. If your goal is to start a discussion but not look for a correct answer, leave Mark this discussion as a question unchecked.
- Write your discussion in the content field. You can format your text however you'd like, insert videos, images, hyperlinks, emoticons, or tables.
- Spellcheck your discussion or view your content in HTML by clicking the icons in the upper right corner of the content field.
- To attach files, click Browse and select the files you want to upload.
- Add relevant tags to the Tags field so your discussion is easily searchable.
- Click Post Message to post your discussion.
10. People can respond to your discussion by clicking Reply. Note: Sometimes after you've discussed an idea or question as a private discussion with a small group of people, you'll want to make it available to a larger audience.
- Click the Manage participants link in the Actions menu on the right of your discussion, or click the Share button.
- Select additional people who you would like to be able to view your discussion.
- Click Finished in the Manage participants pop-up, or Share in the Share this discussion pop-up box.