Use the Create menu to get started creating an event, and to add it to a calendar in a place.
In much the same way you create a document, discussion, or other content item, you create an event by clicking Create, defining what, when, and where it is, and then deciding on a place in the community to publish it. Here are the detailed steps:
- Click Create.
- Provide a title and description. You can mention other users in the description of the event to alert them without inviting them.
- Choose a start and end date and time for the event. (Do not use military time)
- In the Location field, type the location where the event will happen. This field is required. Click Show Location Details if you want to add more information about where the event will happen.
- Decide if your event is Open, Closed, or Private. Open events can be seen by anyone with access to the place where they're posted and can be added to anyone's calendar. People who view the open event will see an RSVP link unless the event is already filled. Closed events can be seen by anyone with access to the place where they're posted, but do not have an RSVP link for users unless they have already been invited to the event. Private events can only be viewed by people who have been invited.
- In the Attendee Limit field, specify how many people can attend your event. After the maximum number of people has replied Yes to your event, the event will show a message saying the event is at capacity, and no one will be able to respond.
- Optionally select an event type.
- Click Show Contact Details if you want to add a phone number, email, and/or website address for the event.
- Decide where you want to publish the event. If you publish the event in a place, it will be displayed on the calendar for that place. Events inherit visibility from the places where they are published. If you create the event in a private or secret group, it will only be visible to people who belong to that group. If you publish an event in the entire community, it will be visible to everyone, but will not necessarily be open to everyone depending on whether you created it as open, closed, or private.
- Click Save. Don't forget to invite some people, especially if you created a closed or private event.