Got a hot tip to share? Video (especially short ones!) can be a fun, effective way of sharing knowledge fast. Here's how to create an original video and upload it to the Community:
What you'll need
- Clear and specific task or goal that you intend to show in your video
- Good quality microphone (and quiet environment!)
- Screencasting or video capture software with ability to save or export the video in one of these formats (AVI, MOV, WMV, MP4, MPEG, FLV, 3GP, and 3G2).
Don't have such software? I suggest the following freeware:
- BB FlashBack Express (Windows): http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/bbflashbackexpress/home.aspx
- ScreenFlow (Mac): http://www.telestream.net/screenflow/overview.htm
Capturing your screencast
- Plan out what you will cover in your video. Write out a rough script or story board if needed, and do a practice run. Tips:
- Start with a quick intro: "Hi, I'm Nora with Akamai Support, and I'm going to show you how to ..."
- Your voice should provide context, instruction, and other supporting information not obvious on the screen. Don't read the screen-- the video will show itself!
- End with an invitation to your viewers to comment: "If you have questions or suggestions about this video, I'd love to hear from you so please ask or comment right here in the Community!"
- Use the video capture software to record your video. With both of the above suggested software, you can select a region or window to record and capture an audio voiceover in real-time.
- Save your video and/or export it to .mp4 or .avi format, or any of the other Jive-supported formats.
Uploading your screencast
1) In the Community upper right corner, click the Create icon and select Video -> Upload a Video.
2) Give your video a catchy title and a description, select a place and tags, then Publish it!