To help in troubleshooting issues between Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac web protection feature and Octoshape
- Octoshape application
- Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac with the web protection feature enabled
- If you are having trouble playing an Octoshape stream and have Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac installed, then it may be Sophos web protection feature that has found a false-positive. This means that it will detect some of our network connections between the player to our client as being bad.
- We are working with Sophos to get this resolved but in the meantime here is a workaround that you can use to make Sophos allow our connections.
- Start by opening up the Sophos preferences.
- You should now see a dialog similar to:
- Click on the "Web Protection" tab and then "Allowed Websites".
Click the plus at the bottom and add the IP "127.0.0.1". This will tell Sophos that any localhost connections should be allowed. It won't change anything with connections to the internet. 127.0.0.1 is basically the local machine's IP address that is ONLY used by local machine processes. This means this address is not used in the public internet.
- You should be able to play Octoshape streams now. Simply reload the website you had issues with.