Many times the network bandwidth is not sufficient to sustain the bitrate in a stream. This document shows how to conduct a few tests to check your local and international bandwidth.
Access to the internet and a Flash enabled browser
- Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and click on 'BEGIN TEST'. This will automatically choose the server closest to you, and will measure the last-mile bandwidth.
- The test will run for a few seconds, and will then display the results :
- Write down the ping time, download speed and upload speed.
- Click on 'NEW SERVER', and select a new location to test from. You can drag the crosshair rectangle on the lower half of the screen or click on a continent, and then drag the map on the upper half to home into a city.
- Repeat the test using the following cities :
- San Jose, CA, USA
- Seattle, WA, USA
- Dallas, TX, USA
- London, GB
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Hong Kong
- You should then have a table of the results as below :
San Jose, CA, USA
Seattle, WA, USA
Dallas, TX, USA