This article describes how to set up a multi bit rate video on-demand stream using a SMIL file.
An Octoshape video on-demand account
- Encode your video files in the bit rates you would like to use. In this example we will assume we have 3 files: movie-500k.flv, movie-1000k.flv and movie-1500k.flv
- Upload the files using the credentials you received from Octoshape
- Create a new smil file using your favorite text editor. You can use the template below, and add or remove <video> nodes to match the number of bit rates your video files are encoded in.
<video src="movie-500k.flv" system-bitrate="500000"/>
<video src="movie-1000k.flv" system-bitrate="1000000"/>
<video src="movie-1500k.flv" system-bitrate="1500000"/>
4. Save the file with the name you would like. In this example we save the file as movie.smil
5. Upload the smil file to the same folder you uploaded the single bit rate files to
6. You can now play the multi bit rate on-demand stream by playing the smil file. In this example the playback link would look like this: octoshape://streams.octoshape.net/customer/movie.smil
Currently smil files can only be uploaded through ftp and not with the deprecated java upload tool.