CloudTest Lite Installation and Configuration FAQ

Document created by Dave Murphy Employee on Jul 20, 2017Last modified by Jijius Jabez on Aug 11, 2017
Version 4Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

This FAQ will be updated on a regular basis to help as a first stop for answering your questions about installing CloudTest Lite.  

Q. What are the minimum system requirements for CloudTest Lite?

A. 4 GB RAM (CloudTest Lite virtual machine requires 2 GB)
64 bit processor, as supported by VMware®
20 GB free disk space

Q. I did not get my email after registering.

A. Please be sure to check your spam filters and whitelist CloudTestLite@soasta.com.  If you are still having issues, please contact via the Contact Support page.

Q. Why don't I get an IP address?

A. CloudTest Lite uses DHCP to assign the IP address. If the VM comes up but the URL is "http://" and you know that the host is connected to the internet, you can try changing the host VM from bridged to NAT.  However, if you chose NAT you won't be able to connect to CloudTest (via web browser or conductor, or anything) from anywhere except the host machine. Also, if using VMWare the network adapter, vmnet8, must be enabled. You should see it in your list of network adapters. 

Q. Why don't I get an IP address from my DHCP server when the networking option is "Bridged"?

A. "Bridged" is the default networking option for the CloudTest Lite installation. This allows the installation to be accessible from computers other than the host. If you only need to access CloudTest Lite from the VM host, then you can use the "NAT" networking option which will probably work around this problem.

Otherwise, we've seen examples of this problem which were due to a bug in the LAN router(s). In particular, this problem may happen on a Macintosh using a wireless interface. One workaround is to use a wired interface. Another resolution is to update the firmware on the routers and/or wireless access points in the network. Please consult your router/access point vendor for information on how to update the firmware.

Q. Why does the IP address I've been using no longer work?

A. If you are using CloudTest Lite on a laptop or other machine that is mobile you will likely need to reboot CloudTest Lite and get a new IP address for your current location.  This means that you'll also need to change the IP address in SOASTA Conductor, under Preferences and any bookmark you may have saved will no longer be valid.

Q. Why do I get "Cannot contact the CloudTest licensing server. cloudtestmanager.soasta.com" after entering my license key?

A. If you have a DHCP pool set up specifically for CT Lite, the DHCP pool must have a DNS configuration. Otherwise, CT Lite will get an IP address, but no DNS information.

Q. I have a 64-bit system but CloudTest Lite does not start up.

A. There are some 64-bit processors that don't allow the VM to launch 64-bit images. You should check your with your VM provider, as noted in the system requirements. You may see a message along the lines of: "You have configured this virtual machine to use a 64-bit guest operating system. However, 64-bit operation is not possible. This host is VT-capable, but VT is disabled." This message typically means some BIOS settings are needed in order to allow for virtualization technology to work. Please see this link on vmware.com - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100394... for more information.

To update the BIOS settings reboot the machine, without the VMWare bootable CD mentioned below, and press F12 at the right moment. The Boot Menu will appear.  Press Tab to enable the Application Menu. Navigate to the Security tab and then select the Virtualization menu item.

The Virtualization configuration that works should appear as: 
Intel (R) Virtualization Technology [Enabled]
Intel (R) VT-d feature                     [Disabled]

You can run the Intel Processor Identification Utility (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/processors/toolspiu/)  to determine if the processor supports Intel Virtualization Technology.  

There may be software requirements as well.  For example, we've found with Windows 2008 Server 64-Bit  that R1 may not work, while R2 succeeds.  

If you are still experiencing issues and you think your system should support a VM, you can get VMware's assessment by downloading the CPU identification program from http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/cpu_identification_utility/cHBiZHR0aGJkdw==. From this you can burn a bootable CD. To boot from the CD press F12 at the right moment and select the CD as the boot drive.

Sample output from the downloaded README document: 

Reporting CPUID for 2 logical CPUs...

All CPUs are identical

Family: 0f Model: 04 Stepping: 1

ID1ECX     ID1EDX     ID81ECX    ID81EDX
     0x0000641d 0xbfebfbff 0000000000 0x20100000

Vendor                   : Intel
Processor Cores          : 1
Brand String             : "                  Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz"
SSE Support              : SSE1, SSE2, SSE3
Supports NX / XD         : Yes
Supports CMPXCHG16B      : Yes
Hyperthreading           : Yes
Supports 64-bit Longmode : Yes
Supports 64-bit VMware   : No

You can note in the last line that 64-bit VMware is not supported.  You may see an additional note stating that it could potentially be modified in the BIOS, as described above.  

Q. In VMWare player, when playing the CTLite VM it starts and then immediately shuts down.

A. This is a common usually a symptom the issue above "I have a 64-bit system but CloudTest Lite does not start up".  This is a common issue with processors that are a couple of years old.  Check the vmware.log file located in the CloudTest Lite VM directory.  If you see something to the effect of "This host is VT-capable, but VT is disabled" then you will need to go into your machine's BIOS and enable VT technology.

Q. Do I need to install an operating system on the Virtual Machine image before installing CloudTest Lite?

A. No, you do not. If it asks for an operating system you may want to review the install videos. CloudTest is a completely self-contained VM and includes everything necessary to run, including an operating system.

Q. Can I run the CloudTest VM inside another VM?

A. That is not a supported configuration.

Q. When I click on the download link it does not start downloading the file.

A. SOASTA is going through the process of getting world-wide approval to distribute CloudTest Lite. At the moment there are some countries that may be blocked from downloading the software. Please check with us if you have any questions about this.

Q. I installed Conductor but it doesn't show up on the screen when I start a new recording.

A. It's possible that the Conductor has been installed but is not yet enabled. Go to Central and in the left hand navigation you'll see a link for Conductors. Click on that and make sure your Conductor shows up in the list. If not, you probably need to reinstall. If it does show up, double click on the Conductor (or right click and Open). Click on the Message Recording tab at the bottom and make sure Enable Message Recording is checked.

Q. When recording with Firefox as the end-user browser I'm running into issues.

A. SOASTA recommends that you don't use Firefox as the end-user browser since it requires manually setting up the proxy. If you do want to use FF as the end-user browser, proxy configuration for Conductor is discussed here. Firefox works great as the CloudTest browser for both building and running tests.

Q. I'm having problems using IE8, which is listed as a supported browser.

A. IE8 is supported, however make sure that you are running in IE8 mode, not IE7 mode.

In the Tools menu, select "Developer Tools" (or press F12).
In the new window that opens, make sure the top, right portion of the menu bar reads:
"Browser Mode: IE8 Document Mode: IE8 Standards"

Q. Using a proxy with Windows.

A. For Windows users, the proxy user name must be in the DOMAIN\User format (e.g. ACME\joe).  Other formats (e.g. joe@acme.com) will not work.  This only applies to users with Windows proxy servers that require authentication.

Q. How do I set my proxy information in CloudTest Lite?

A. Your proxy information can be set when you first setup CloudTest Lite and you enter in your license information, as shown above.  Or, you can enter or change it at any time by doing the following (NOTE: CloudTest Lite does not support detecting and parsing PAC files):

1) Go to Site Administration

2) Enter in your proxy information in the Web Proxy section 

3) Click Update to save your changes 

Q. What if I have a VPN?

A. VPN clients will frequently disallow access to local networks/machines when connected to a VPN.  It depends how the VPN is configured.  You may need to disconnect from the VPN in order to use CloudTest Lite.

Q. Can I increase my disk space to handle lots of test results?

A. Anyone who downloaded CloudTest Lite after Sept. 26 (or upgrades) will see there are now two disks in the Virtual Machine. Previously, increasing the disk space in the VM did not provide any value. Now, you will see Hard Disk 1 and Hard Disk 2. Hard Disk 2 contains the database, which will now take advantage of any additional disk space you allocate.

Q. How do I resize the data disk in Virtual Box 4+?

A. In VirtualBox 4+, to resize the data disk, the process is a little more cumbersome than the other VM vendors. Here are the steps to resize the disk: (These are all run from the command line. The "VBoxMange" command line utility is included in the virtual box download).

1) First, you need to convert the existing virtual disk from "vmdk" format to "vdi", using this command: VBoxManage clonehd CloudTestLite-disk2.vmdk CloudTestLite-disk2.vdi --format VDI This will create a cloned copy of the disk. After you've affirmed everything is working fine with the new disk, you can delete the old vmdk disk.

2) Resize the new VDI disk using this command: VBoxManage modifyhd CloudTestLite-disk2.vdi --resizeFor example, to make the disk 32 gigabytes: VBoxManage modifyhd CloudTestLite-disk2.vdi --resize 32000

3) Open the VirtualBox UI, select the CloudTest Lite VM and Click on the "Storage" title in the right panel.

4) Select the "CloudTestLite-disk2.vmdk" entry and click the "remove attachment" icon at the bottom of the panel.

5) Select the "IDE Controller" entry at the top, then click the "add attachment" icon at the bottom of the panel.

6) Select the VDI image you created in step #1

7) The UI should now show you two disks, the second disk should be the new size.

8) Startup VirtualBox, and CloudTest Lite will automatically resize the file system to take advantage of the new disk.

Q. How do I upgrade CloudTest Lite?

A. Upgrading CloudTest Lite is now built into the product.  If you downloaded CT Lite after November 11, 2011 you'll have gotten the "California" release.  With California, you will be notified upon login if there is a new version available, which you can accept to allow CloudTest Lite to automatically update itself.

If you downloaded one of the beta builds prior to 11/11, in order to upgrade to the California release you will need to re-register at http://cdn.soasta.com/cloudtest-lite-download.htm and reinstall the product. 

Before doing so you should export anything in your repository that you want to keep.  Under Library in the left hand nav you can multi-select any subset of your assets (whether or not in folders) and choose to export.  Because they are much larger than any other asset, and to avoid accidentally creating large export files, test results must be exported separately.  You will want to export as a zip file since that will be much faster.  Once you exported, you can remove your current CloudTest Lite VM, re-register, download and install the new CloudTest VM and then import the assets.

Q. Why Does the Virtual Machine Not Start?

A. When the VM is starting up it will at times not switch over into Graphics Mode. You are then left with a screen that looks like the example below. 

If you get that message where it says 'unable to open socket for inet6, transport open failed for inet6/ctlitelocal:0, failed to open listener for inet6' or any of the other items listed above please do the following:

1) Click inside the VM so you are actually in the VM

2) Hit CTRL+ALT+F7 for Windows or CTRL+FN+ALT+F7 for MAC and some IBM Lenovo laptops

This will force the VM to switch to graphics mode. It may take a minute or two for the switch to complete

Attachments

Outcomes