In order to create a Packet-level Recording, please follow these steps:
- Make sure you have a SOASTA Conductor running on the machine with the network traffic you wish to record.
- In the Central list, highlight HTTP(S) Message Recordings and then click the New icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen.
- The New HTTP(S) Recording page appears. Select the desired SOASTA Conductor from the list. Note that the Status should display Connected.
If it does not, then it is likely that your Conductor has not been started. To start a Conductor, locate the directory where you installed SOASTA Conductor and start the SOASTA Conductor application.
- Use the Recording Name and Save to Folder fields to change the default name and folder locations if desired. Click the Record button.
- To record packet-level or HTTP traffic, click Packet-level Recording. For HTTP traffic only, optionally click Record HTTP Traffic Only. This will filter out any non-HTTP packet traffic. Recordings can always be recorded after the recording is complete and before conversion to a test clip.
See Creating an HTTPS Recording for more information if you are recording encrypted traffic (HTTPS).
In either case, click the Record button.
- The Recording Editor will display a status of Recording. HTTP messages are displayed as they are recorded.
To generate HTTP traffic, begin performing actions in the second browser. As HTTP traffic is generated, the Recording screen will display the recorded traffic.
- During your recording the status bar at the bottom of the Recording page displays information about the data being recorded. The values displayed are:
- The elapsed recording time
- The number of messages recorded
- The amount of data recorded
- When you are done generating HTTP traffic, click the square Stop button on the Player control. The message Finalizing Recording will display in the upper right hand corner of the screen and will then change to Recording Finished. The SOASTA Conductor status should display Finished Recording.