Custom properties can be created automatically at runtime using the Property Sets form, Automatic Creation drop-down in either the Target Editor or the Clip Editor when the Message Editor lower panel is open.
- Target-level property sets can be created for any operation in the Target Editor, Target Info section. Scroll to locate the Property Sets section.
- Message-level property sets are created in the Clip Editor, Selected, Property Sets node (in the list on the lower left).
Automatic Creation is specified when either Create or Create and save in analytics are chosen in the drop-down.
Property sets can be added to a message whenever that message is open in the lower panel message editor. Property sets can also be defined for any operation in a given target via the Target Editor.
- Locate a message and open it in the lower panel of the Clip Editor, or, in the case of a target, navigate to the operation in which a property set will be defined.
- Add a property set, by clicking the green Plus icon to add a new Property Sets form to the message.
- To edit an existing property set, locate it within the Property Sets section in either editor.
- Click the green Plus icon on the right to add the Property Sets form to the panel.
- Define the section “The value of this field” according to your needs. For example, if you are going to extract from a header change Field to Header.
- For either selection, define the text that will make the string extractable. For example, by defining leading text, trailing text, or value length. Or, by using XPath or Regex extraction methods.
- For example, enter or paste the leading text. For example, “?” or “Location: ”.
- Enter or paste the trailing text. For example, “/#”.
- Click Test on Played Response to determine if your choices result in the string being extracted properly.
- Once the top section is defined, ensure that Custom is the property type to set.
- Select a Starting Element and enter a name in the Property Path field.
- In the Automatic Creation drop-down do one of the following:
- To create a custom property without adding it to analytics, choose Create (rather than Create and save in analytics) in the Automatic Creation drop-down.
- To create a custom property and simultaneously specify that the Custom Property's "ending" value will be tracked in Analytics, choose Create and save in analytics.
- Finally, click Save on the toolbar.