- In the Central list > Monitoring section, select Monitors.
- In the Monitors list, select the desired Monitor, and then click the Properties Panel toggle button in the lower-right.
- The Properties panel appears. To start the monitor, click the Start Monitor button.
- Optionally, specify Aggregate Duration (in seconds).
This is the period for which monitor sample data should be aggregated. The default is every 10 seconds. Use a higher number if the trend analysis would not find 10 seconds to be significant. Using a period that is less than the monitor sample rate will provide no benefit. Regardless of how this is set, detailed host monitor sample data is still stored.
- Optionally, specify Detail Data Retention Period for this monitor.
Specifies how far back to retain detail monitor sample data. Defaults to –1 (do not purge detail data). Setting this to 0 will not store any detail data. Setting to a positive number (e. g. 30) will retain detail data for that number of minutes.
- Optionally, specify the Server Aggregate Data Retention Period. This is the period in minutes to keep aggregate data on the server.
For long running monitors, short periods result in a lot of data. Monitor data can be summarized in specified periods and the detail data can be optionally removed after some period of time. This aggregation is done per monitor. Note that if a monitor server has more than one host, such as when specified by a Monitoring Server Group, then host level information is not stored with these aggregates.
Settings to support this functionality can be found in the Central list > Monitor, lower panel > General tab.
- After a short delay, the monitor will be started and the Stop Monitor button will be shown. Click this button to force stop of this monitor.