Monitors can be started and stopped manually (see Starting and Stopping a Monitor), or automatically when a Test Composition runs. To start a monitor automatically during composition playback, you must link the monitor to the composition. An advantage of monitor linking is that the data associated with the monitor is automatically added to the results of the composition. For example, the default dashboard displays a chart containing CPU metrics. This chart will appear blank if there is no associated monitor, however if a monitor has been linked to the composition, then CPU data for the period of the test will be displayed.
To link a monitor to a Test Composition, use the following steps:
- In the Central list, select Test Compositions. In the Compositions list double-click to open the desired test composition.
- At the bottom of the Composition Editor, click the Properties tab.
- In the Properties list, highlight Composition
- In the right pane, select the Monitoring tab
- Select the desired monitor(s) that you would like to have start by using the check boxes.
- Click Save in the toolbar.
- Running the Test Composition will now start the selected monitor(s). When the Test Composition finishes, the monitor(s) will be stopped.