Monitoring Using DCOM/WMI

Document created by Chris Sommerstad Employee on Jul 22, 2017
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Prerequisites for DCOM/WMI Monitoring

CloudTest supports remote monitoring for Windows Server 2008 using Windows Management Instrumentation (WM)I. The Monitor Server Group user interface supports monitoring server group connections to Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) in Windows Server 2008.

The Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) is also supported in Windows Server 2008.

This additional monitoring support is reflected in the System Resource and Authentication step of the Monitoring Server Group configuration when System Resources has been checked.

Configuring WMI/DCOM in Windows Server 2008

Use the following steps to configure WMI/DCOM in Windows Server 2008 for use with CloudTest.

1. On the Windows Server 2008 desktop, open the Windows Firewall Settings dialog box to the Exceptions tab and check the following <em>exceptions</em>:
    • COM+ Network Access
    • Remote Administration

Note: Network Discovery was already checked in the user’s prior configuration. This setting is not required by CloudTest.

1. Next, check the Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) box.

1. Download the CloudTest registry key linked here.
    2. Insert the downloaded Registry Key to restrict RPC Dynamic Port allocation to a specific port range (must be at-least 100 ports).

SOASTA uses port range 49157 to 49256. Users can select their own port range. More details can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154596

1. Add the port range specified in previous step as an exception in the firewall. Use a loop (shown right) to insert a port range (as the firewall GUI does not allow adding port range).

To Insert Port Range: 

FOR /L %I IN (49157,1,49256) DO netsh firewall add portopening TCP %I "Dynamic RPC "%I

This opens ports 49157 to 49256, and names them 'Dynamic RPC'.

To Delete Port Range:

FOR /L %I IN (49157,1,49256) DO netsh firewall delete portopening TCP %I

Configuring a WMI Monitoring Server in CloudTest

Once the WMI configuration above has been adopted, use the following steps to create a corresponding Monitor Server Group in CloudTest.

1. Select Central > Monitoring Server Groups
  2. Leave Monitoring Server Group selected in the Server Group of Monitor screen and click Next.

1. Enter a name for the monitoring server and enter an IP address or host name in the Host entry field and then click Add. The host is added to the Host list as shown above. If there is more than one WMI server to monitor enter it and a group will be created as in prior releases.
  2. Click Next.
  3. In the System Resource and Authentication screen, leave System Resources checked, and then click Next.
  4. Select Windows Server 2008 as the Operating System. Note that WMI is only available under Windows Server 2008 at this time.

1. In the Connection Method drop-down, select either Direction Connection: WMI or choose to Connect via Conductor.
  2. If Direct Connection: WMI was selected, enter the appropriate credentials as (shown right).

Note that if the SOASTA Conductor is selected via <Use Conductor on each machine> or by choosing a specific Conductor, that Conductor must be running on each machine specified in the server group.

Once credentials are established, or the selected Conductors are running on the given servers, click Test Connection. In either case, a Connection Successful message indicates that the Monitoring Server(s) are ready for use. Click Next and then click Finish to complete creation of the Monitoring Server or Group.

Attachments

Outcomes