AnsweredAssumed Answered

Bypass Cached Data for "Real Time"

Question asked by Joseph Spano on Mar 29, 2018
Latest reply on Apr 11, 2018 by Neil Jedrzejewski

Is it possible to force an edge server to target the origin server of a website? The reason I am asking is due to the fact there is a latency sensitive website I would like to reach that updates every 10 milliseconds (RSS feed), and I would like to get updates as fast as possible (which is allowed). It seems right now that using the typical method of just requesting from a random edge server is slow due to the fact it is not necessarily requesting the most current information from the origin.

Alternatively, what would be the best way to make sure you get updates in "real time" (defined as within 50 milliseconds) from a website that uses Akamai's CDN? Targeting the website's url can not be the best way as that is too slow when it does not go directly to the origin (hundreds of milliseconds are lost not going to the origin or origin equivalent on each request), but instead hits the Akamai CDN and gets a cached version of the data.

This also may just be asking if there is a way to bypass Akamai cache?

I tried the following, but it did not work as I still get "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently" from your edge server before being redirected:

setHeader(new BasicHeader("Prama", "no-cache"));
setHeader(new BasicHeader("Cache-Control", "no-cache"));

Outcomes