FairPlay Streaming Live Q&A Archive

Document created by Josh Cheshire Employee on Mar 9, 2016Last modified by Josh Cheshire Employee on Mar 9, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Below is the archive of the Live Chat held by Akamai to discuss FairPlay Streaming.

Q: Hi, will there also be a screencast or is this Q&A session planned as a chat ? by albrecht senden

A: It's planned as a chat. by Shawn Michels

Q: How will the Akamai FairPlay workflow fit into existing common encryption and DASH workflows? by ed

A: Today Akamai supports DRM as part of our content preparation workflows. Customers provide Akamai either source files or pre-transcoded MP4's and depending on the use case, whether it is Live or On Demand, we package the content in a number of market leading DRM's such as PlayReady and Adobe Access with Common Encryption for DASH coming later in 2016. Akamai's FPS support is merely an extension of those existing workflows.  by Shawn Michels

Q: What devices will FPS work on? Just Apple? by brian

A: Today FPS only works within the Apple ecosystem. This includes Safari, iOS and tvOS. For example FPS will work in Safari on a PC. by Shawn Michels

Q: Can Akamai totally offload my FPS implementation? by brian

A: It is Akamai's intent to help customers offload their full FPS implementation. We will start with applying FPS encryption during the content preparation process and then extending into license serving capabilities. Akamai currently does not have plans to offer entitlement or policy management. by Shawn Michels

Q: Is HLS + FairPlay a mandatory requirement for over-the-air streaming (3G, LTE, etc.)? Or is there still the possibility to use other streaming formats (e.g. if Apple does open their ecosystem)? by mobile officer

A: Fairplay is the only DRM that will playback natively (without proprietary client software) within the Apple Ecosystem regardless of the network over which the content is accessed. Akamai does not know what restrictions if any Apple will put on other DRM's / Formats in the future. by Shawn Michels

Q: Is FPS a real “DRM”? by jacob

A: This is a tricky answer. In many ways FairPlay behaves like a standard DRM systems from a security standpoint. Meaning the encryption is nearly the same, the client server protocols are similar, it has license capabilities, etc. However FPS does NOT have the concept of policies or policy management. This lives external to the technology which is different then DRM's provided by Google, MSFT, Adobe, etc. by Shawn Michels

Q: so is it mandatory to use FairPlay for OTA on iOs or is FPS not needed if rewrapping on the client side is done?  by mobile officer

A: Our current understanding is that it's not "mandatory". by Shawn Michels

Q: a poll with only one option to choose? by mobile officer

A: Hi There are 4 options. Can you see them?  by Ian Munford

Q: What is the difference between FPS and other type / Common Encryption? by mark

A: Today the major difference between FPS and Common Encryption is the encryption cypher used to protect the content. FPS uses AES 128 in CBC mode where PlayReady, Adobe, Google and other participants supporting common encryption support AES in 128 in CTR mode. Today that makes the two DRM camps incompatible.  by Shawn Michels

Q: Why is FPS a better DRM platform for iOS devices than other technologies? by adolfo

A: The primary benefit of using FPS is that you get native playback on Safari, iOS and AppleTV without the need to buy or integrate proprietary, blackbox, SDK's to enable DRM on the device. by Shawn Michels

Q: Can FPS be used to protect formats other than HLS? by thomas

A: No it cannot. FPS only works for HLS.  by Shawn Michels

Q: Can FPS be used to protect images or documents? by victoria

A: No. FPS as a technology can only be applied to Video / Audio. by Shawn Michels

Q: Do you know if Apple has plans to integrate FairPlay into the Common Encryption standard? by mobile officer

A: We are un aware of any specific plans at Apple to bring FPS in line with the Common Encryption standard. Akamai does feel however that the industry has no choice but to standardize on AES 128 in CBC or CTR mode at some point in the future. by Shawn Michels

Q: What technical integration will I need to do with my existing transcoding and packaging technology? by james

A: If you are using Akamai for Transcoding or Packaging then you simply need to change a few output configurations in order to able FPS once broadly launched. If you are looking to integrate FPS into a transcoding or packing suite external to Akamai, then the following site is a great source of information:https://developer.apple.com/streaming/fps by Shawn Michels

Q: Why are there so few FPS integrators in the market? by victoria

A: I think there are so few providers because Apple only made FPS available to service providers in June of last year which makes it relatively new compared to PlayReady, Widevine, etc which have been available in the market for many years.  by Shawn Michels

Q: Why do I not see more information about this technology in the market? by raymone

A: Again I believe the lack of noise regarding FPS in the market is really a function of its newness. The technology has been used within I-Tunes for years but was only made publicly available at WWDC 15 last June. by Shawn Michels

Q: What options are available to me to implement FPS? by albert

A: There are two main options.  First you could work with a third party provider like Akamai, Irdeto, etc who can help you offload the work required to integrate the solution.  Second you can work with Apple to license FPS directly and develop your own solution. by Shawn Michels

Q: Is it possible to license FairPlay for all Apple devices (e.g. AppleTV, Safari browser)? Is there a licensing process similar to Microsoft's PlayReady licensing process? by mobile officer

A: It is possible to license FairPlay. While Akamai cannot comment on what requirements a company has to meet for Apple to extend a license you can find more details here: https://developer.apple.com/streaming/fps by Shawn Michels

3 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes