Summary of Boomerang Risks:
- Boomerang releases are tested with a wide variety of scenarios and use cases internally, but we cannot test every possible combination of website and browser.
- Boomerang objects execute in the context of the customer's website in an end-user's browser; in very rare cases (especially if not configured correctly to load asynchronously), an error with Boomerang perhaps combined with site code, other third-party code, or with a specific browser version can cause the website to fail to function properly.
- Boomerang is designed to silently fail and suppress error messages if it encounters an error, but it's possible Boomerang could cause unwanted popups, error dialogs, or prevent certain site actions.
- For these reasons, a best practice around Boomerang upgrades is to deploy to a dev/test site first, then after verifying normal functionality, switching the version on the production site.
- We recommend keeping dev/test and production sites at the same Boomerang version, so that the behavior of Boomerang (hopefully, correct behavior) in the dev/test environment is a good indicator of how Boomerang will behave in production.
- If an error is observed, the customer or a SOASTAn can request a version rollback. Rollback procedures are below.
Boomerang Rollback Procedures:
- In case of a site-impacting error, customers should open a urgent support case, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org (if not urgent). POCs or others without ZenDesk access can use our 24x7 emergency contact number (408-831-7977) which will create an urgent case.
- On receiving the request, the Ops team will revert a Boomerang upgrade, 24x7.
- Rollbacks will follow the same notification standard as upgrades; the customer must be notified of the change, and if possible, advance notification and scheduling should be arranged.
- When reporting an issue and requesting a rollback, please include the submission of any available artifacts from the failure - screenshots, exact times, IP addresses, and any other details about the issue that might be available. If we can reproduce it, we can fix it!
Boomerang Version Change Process:
- Boomerang objects have a 7 day caching policy, so a change can take up to 7 days to propagate 100%.