- To work with an HTTP or HTTPS recording, locate it in the Central > HTTP(S) Message Recordings list.
- To open a recording, you may either double-click the item or right-mouse and select Open. When you do so, the recording opens in the Recording Editor.
The recorded messages appear as a series of icons. You may use the scroll bar immediately beneath the icons to view messages that fall outside the current viewing window. The default viewing window displays the first 100 messages. If the recording contains more than 100 messages and you wish to view more, use the filter to adjust the number of messages in the display. Please see a discussion of filtering below.
The Recording Editor icon view identifies captured messages by type (e.g. HTML, POST, GIF, JPG, etc.) using color correspondence, and in Icon view, the type is posted in the gray center portion of the icon.
- Operation type is now presented in the lower portion of message icons with directional arrows (up for PUT and POST, and down for GET) instead.
- For any given recorded item, its relative path (starting from the target item’s full path) is displayed beneath the icon. For a folder, "/" or the folder name are shown here. For a file or operation, its name is shown here.
The information available within the recording view may be summarized as follows:
- The message sequence
- Detailed information about each message
- Detailed information about each packet (HTTP recordings only)
- The relationship between packets and messages (HTTP recordings only)
The initial display shows the sequence of messages as a series of icons. The sequence may also be viewed as a list. Click the Icon button and use the drop-down to select List.
The list view provides summary information about each message in a list. The thumb control to the right may be used to view the portion of the list outside the current window.
To view detail information about a message, find the desired message and click it. A detail view of the message appears in the space below. A description of message detail information is provided in the topic Working With HTTP(S) Messages.
The display of messages can be filtered so that only those messages that meet the specified criteria will display. This can be very useful in narrowing the set of messages to examine. The filter is available in the upper right hand corner.
Clicking the Filter icon will cause the filter interface to display.
Note that the initial display of messages is limited to the first 100 messages. If your recording contained more than 100 messages, a filter is automatically applied and to limit the display-- this filter can be removed to see additional messages. The filter may be removed altogether by clicking on the icon on the right hand side of the filter display. You may add additional filtering criteria by clicking on the plus (+) icon. If you click the plus icon, the filter display will contain an additional element.
To view the set of data values available for filtering, click the leftmost dropdown list box of the filter element. The resulting list will display the data values available for filtering.
If, for example, it was desirable to limit the displayed messages to all those that contained the word "Images" in the message’s URL, that data value would be selected from the list. The set of operations may be viewed by clicking on the down arrow of the subsequent dropdown list box.
Text search fields, such as Host Name, can include the OR operator to further refine filtering.
Since we want any message that contains the word Image, Contains is the appropriate comparison operator.
Next, enter the value Image into the edit box to complete the filter specification.
The recording display will then adjust to display only those messages that meet the established filter criteria.