Pages can be automatically created during the Convert Recording to Clip Wizard process using the following steps. The following steps focus primarily on the page creation implications of test clip conversion. For a fuller discussion of the conversion process, see Converting a Recording to a Clip.
Note: Pages can also be created manually via the Clip Editor using right-click on selected items to access the Create a group command.
- Open the recording in the Recording Editor and click Convert to a Clip.
The Name Step appears.
- Enter a clip name and select a timing type.
- Optionally, check the Auto-name messages box. Click Next.
- The Think Times page appears. Optionally, apply a think time and then click Next.
- The Match Targets page appears, or if Manually Timed timing was selected Burst and Think Times appears. For evenly timed, this page has no options. In any case, click Next.
- The Create New Targets page appears. Click Next.
- The new Create Pages page appears. Check the Automatically create groups of Page requests box to create pages for this test clip.
- To fetch the page resources dynamically rather than statically, check Mark the first message in the page to dynamically retrieve its resources. This will mark the page to process its HTML Document’s resources dynamically and static resources in the resulting page will be disabled.
Note: If this option is checked, and the next option is unchecked, the static resources included in the resulting page but will be unchecked (inactive) in the resulting page (as shown below).
Dynamic mode uses the target “HTML Document” to request the page’s resources. The correct URL for each resource at the time the test is run is used, regardless of what the target says. The connection pool and configuration settings of the target are shared by all of the resource retrievals. See the Connection Options section of the Target Editor for the relevant target to inspect these settings.
Note: Use the new “URL for Reporting” widget to track the actual URLs used in your test. This new chart will provide more accurate statistics than widgets segmented by target, although target-based widgets will remain available.
- Optionally, check Remove the “static” resource messages from the page to exclude all static resources from the test clip.
Using this option will delete static resources for the purpose of creating tests of only the dynamic resources on a page. This is useful for frequently changed pages.
Note: CloudTest will not recursively retrieve nested resources in frames or iframes in the response. Frames or iframes will be represented in the clip by their own pages.
- Click Next when ready. The Create Clip page appears. This page presents summary information about the test clip that will be created.
- Click Next. The Summary page appears.
- Optionally, click Go to Test Clip Editor for additional test clip editing.
The screenshot on the right shows the result of a test clip conversion that included enabled pages. The automatically created pages are collapsed by default.