SOASTA Version Control FAQ

Document created by DPM Admin Employee on Jul 20, 2017
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Q1: If I version a folder, does it version everything in it? 

No. You have the ability to leave files untracked (question mark icon). For all the new items in the folder, you have the ability to add them to version control individually.

Q2: Does SOASTA version the permissions for the folder? 

No. SOASTA does not version access control list (ACL) information.

Q3: If I change the filters of a widget on a dashboard or the widgets on a dashboard that is open, will that get versioned? 

Yes. The dashboard will only be marked as modified once it is saved. For example, if you change filters or add new widgets to the dashboard, the dashboard will be marked as modified when under versioning. You can then subsequently either commit the change or reset it to revert the changes.

Q4: How is seed data stored in Git? 

It is stored as XML.

Q5: Baseline is stored with composition, so would restore change baseline? 

If you checkout to a previous version of the composition and the baseline stored in the composition is different then yes, it would change.

Q6: What happens if I import something into the path that is under version control? 

It gets marked as modified.

Q7: What happens if I duplicate versioned objects? 

It will be treated as a new object, then it can be added to versioning.

Q8: What happens if I delete an objects under versioning? 

It will be treated as staged deletes. If you commit the delete, it will be removed from the version control repository, and when you push the change out, it will be removed from the remote repository. If other users pull from that repository subsequently, those deleted objects will disappear from their environment.

Q9: When I clone a Git repository, what kind of URLs it supports?

It supports https URLs, not SSH.

Q10: Do I have any action item if I update the URL in my repository information?

Every time you update your repository information (URL, username, or password), you must update all three.

Q11: How can I find out whether I am up to date between the local and remote repository?

Right-click on your asset, and select Pull.

Q12: Can I interact with the Git repository by using a command line?

No.

Q13: If I have multiple Git repositories that are pointing to the same URL, does it mean that Git will have one branch for each repository?

Yes. Each cloned repository will have an associated entry in the version control panel.

Q14: What is the workflow for a scenario where two users want to update two different assets of the same repository?

Each user will have to clone the repository into separate folders, make changes as needed, commit, push, and pull each other’s changes.

Q15: How are multiple branches within Version Control supported?

There is very limited support for multiple branches in V1 of Version Control. If GitHub (or equivalent) is used to fork off of master, a user can clone that branch from the product version control workflow. The user can then work on that branch and commit, push, and pull changes from that branch only. Interactions among different branches, such as switching branch and merging branches, is not supported. If a Merge Request is created in GitHub (or equivalent) to merge changes from this branch into another as a way to get around the restriction, unfortunately we will not be able to support in product versioning of these branches.

Attachments

Outcomes