The Test Clip is the basic building block in CloudTest. A test clip is a visual script that is composed of a series of timed or sequenced events (an event can be, for example, an http message, a SOAP message or a UI event in a browser). Once built and debugged, these test clips can be reused for any type of testing . . . functional testing, load testing, performance testing and Web UI testing where appropriate. This is a very powerful feature of the SOASTA CloudTest design that can substantially improve the productivity of a testing team.
The Test Clips list shows the current Test Clips in the system by Name, Owner, the Created date and time, and Last Modified. Click any column header to sort the list by that property. Test Clips consist of one or more messages, browser actions, checkpoints, or time delays.
When a new or existing test clip is open, the Test Clip Editor appears. The clip shown is empty.
The middle portion of the Clip Editor toolbar is shown on the right. Once a test clip has more than 50 clip elements, the paging icons become active. If the first page is in display, then only the right arrows are active. The Clip Editor can be toggled between the (default) icon and list views by clicking the Icon/List toggle button.
The Clip Editor has an additional Add drop-down menu
- Click Add New Message to add a blank message (non-Target specific)
- Click Add New Checkpoint to add a checkpoint in the test clip that awaits a response from the prior message
- Click Add New Time Delay to add a time delay in milliseconds. The default value is 0, right-click the Time Delay item to set its value in milliseconds
- Click Add New Browser Action to add a blank browser action (non-target specific)
- To edit a given message or browser action within a test clip, first select it, and then double click to open it in a new tab in the lower pane.
A Selected: Browser Action 17 tab is shown on the right, in this case a browser action with that name is in display.
- Click the Messages/Actions tab to examine of select targets.
- Click Scripts to examine or add available scripts to the test clip.
- Click Properties to set clip properties or to add or edit Custom Clip Properties.
- For Messages, click Play to send the message to the target. Results associated with the selected message can be viewed by clicking the Results button in the [selected] pane. For Browser Actions, click Record to edit the content of the current browser action.
- Click [Change to XML View] in the Results tab to edit the message XML. Click [Change to Form View] to return to the default view.
Use the Minimize/Maximize icons on the far right of the pane tab bar to toggle the message view. In the screenshot below, Maximize has been clicked.
For step-by-step instructions for manually creating a test clip, see Creating a New Test Clip.