The Activity Map widget uses the Google Maps API to plot CloudTest server locations, including Maestro & Results Services, as well as Target location(s), in their geographic contexts.
In order for this feature to work properly, your SOASTA Administrator must configure a Google Maps key for your CloudTest environment using the instructions in the following section. If this has already been done, skip to Add a Map Widget to a Dashboard to add the widget to your test or to Viewing Map Data for an explanation of how to read mapped test results.
Adding a Google Map Key to a Tenant (SOASTA Administrators only)
In order for Activity Maps to work, it is first necessary for your SOASTA Administrator to add a valid Google Map key to the SOASTA CloudTest tenant in which your user ID resides.
- Administrators may acquire a Google Maps key from the Google Maps API Signup page by following the instructions on the page. The Google Maps key must match the domain where SOASTA CloudTest is installed.
An example Google Maps key is shown on the right.
- Copy the Google Maps key to the clipboard before returning to CloudTest.
- Login as the Administrator of the given CloudTest tenant.
- In the Central list, locate the Administration section at the bottom and select Tenants. The Tenants list appears in the pane on the right
- In the Tenants list, select the tenant you want to configure. The General tab displays in the sub-pane below with the Google Maps key field in display.
- Click in the Google Maps key field and paste the Google Maps key copied above.
- Click the Save button in the sub-pane toolbar to save this tenant with these changes.
- To add the Activity Map to your test, open a test composition and click the Play or Results tabs.
- Click the Toolbar Widget Selection Panel button to toggle the Widget Selection Panel on or off. For new dashboards, the Widget Selection Panel appears automatically toggled on.
- In the Widget Selection Panel, locate the Widget Type list and expand the Maps widget category and drag the Activity Map widget into the dashboard workspace.
Once the Activity Map widget is added to the dashboard, and prior to the display of test results, a generic map appears in the widget. If the map is not displayed and an error stating that "Your CloudTest tenant does not have a Google Maps API key" appears, review the Google Maps key steps above with your SOASTA Administrator.
If the test already has results, these will appear. The next time the test associated with this widget is run those results will be plotted.
- Click the arrows to move the map in the direction shown and the (+) and (-) buttons to zoom in or out. You can always pop out the Map widget to its own window for more viewing room.
- Click the Map, Terrain, Satellite, or Hybrid buttons to customize the view.
Lines connecting servers and locations are gray until data has been sent, and then indicate error rate by color.
- Click individual servers, locations, target locations, or the lines connecting them, for pop-up balloons with charts with real-time data. Balloons show contextual information for the server, location, or target. For example, the Locations balloon to the right shows the Cloud Provider name, the number of virtual users, region, script errors, and server instances.
By default, Average Response Time for a given item is shown in real time. Users can control the Activity Map properties from the widget’s Edit menu, including which chart type will be displayed in the balloon.
You can add a label for a target as it appears in the Activity Map widget by specifying a location as text in the target's Geographic Location field.
- To do so, open the target to which you want to add a geographic location.
- With the Target Info > General tab in display, enter a Geographic Location in the field as text. This value should correspond to the actual location of the server as it will appear in test results.
In the screenshot below, a target has been given the Geographic Location "San Diego, CA".